'96 SL Cooling Fan Not Working

I looked around for the sensor and/or relays that might control the fan but didn't find anything in a short look. I don't have a repair or service manual for this car. Can anyone point me to where to look for the "stuff" that makes the fan work. Later I'll test the fan itself to see if it it faulty. I have a '97 parts car that may have a good fan and most likely wil have the controlls still good. That car was wrecked in the left front and I haven't had a chance to see if the fan survived the crash or not. Anyone know if the '97 parts will work on the '96 car?

Best, wes

Reply to
Dooger

Most common reason the fan doesn't work, people expect it to come on before the engine exceeds 215 deg.

Are you still certain it doesn't work?

Reply to
BläBlä

Yes, absolutely certain. With the temp gauge nearly pegged and the radiator starting to boil and it still doesn't come on ever.

Best, wes

Reply to
Dooger

I believe the gauge of a '96 gets the signal from the PCM, not a seperate sensor. If that is correct, then the PCM should be getting the correct information from the coolant sensor. Does the fan run when you turn on the A/C? If not, you may have a bad fan motor, relay, or wiring.

Sorry I don't have much information on a '96. I own a '92.

Good Luck, James

Reply to
James1549

Thanks James. That may be helpful.

Tomorrow I'll put a meter on the leads to the fan motor and see if it's getting current when it should and go from there. I didn't have the car here earlier today to start troubleshooting the problem. I'd still be open to hearing about where the relay and any other related components might be located.

Best, wes

Reply to
Dooger

Inspect Underhood junction block, Cooling Fan Relay and a 30a fuse. The cover should be labeled.

Reply to
BläBlä

Great, thanks. That helps a bunch.

Best, wes

Reply to
Dooger

I've got a similar problem, except the 30a fuse keeps blowing! Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
sowhatofit

You can buy a new fan motor for about $30. It is easy to remove the fan assembly and replace the motor.

I bought the Haynes Repair Manual (available at Discount Auto Parts), which tells you how to do it.

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn