96 SL2 won't start

My SL2 has 75k mileage on it, and we replaced the generator/battery like 2.5 years ago.

Today, it won't start at all, after it is idle in the parking lot for

2 weeks.

I tried to jumpstart it from a Camry, but it didn't work at all. The lights weren't be on, and car failed to get started.

So this is a dead battery issue or even worse? Any advice? I definitely will have it towed to a mechanic place by AAA later. Just want to have some ideas of the issue...

Thanks!

Reply to
Simon Song

My 97 did that one afternoon at work - even AAA had a hard time jumping it and when I got home it would not restart. I put a new battery in and it's fine (knock on wood)...

I'm on my 3rd batt and 3rd alt with 88k miles.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

ouch ... is there some kind of voltage regulator as a seperate component from the alternator which could be damaging the alternator and in turn the battery by providing too much or too little juice? I know that big electrical turbines can be damaged by too much/too little electricity, and it seems like the same principle would apply on a smaller scale. (I would answer my own question if I could figure out where my dog put my Haynes manual...)

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

I don't know about the volt reg - and I do seem to be hard on vehicles too. I usually run the AC, I live in a warm/hot climate and I think the alt's placement on my Saturn is a poor choice. I noticed SPS was selling a higher output alternator which sounds like it would run with a smaller load and maybe run cooler.

I have had better luck with electrical components with my old Isuzu pickup.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Well, I am clumsy and just failed to jumpstart the car(it is the first time, I tried to jumpstart it by myself). My neighbour lent a hand to jumpstart it in the right way(I put the negative on the wrong part).

So the car is running, and I am leaving it run idle for 30 mins.

And I think I will go Autozone, and have them check the battery. Maybe, it is time to replace the battery? The current one is bein used for nearly 3 years now, and I live in Northern CA the weather is hot.

Any other tips for battery/alternator maintenance? Heard someone mentioned about fluid level in battery is also key...

Reply to
Simon Song

Batteries should last 4 -5 years. Non use and a small drain (alarm or flashing light) can drain it after a week.

Depening on the amount of time you want to keep it.... a Sears or Walmart battery will do you for $50.

Reply to
M. Butkus

Even though a battery should last 3 or 4 years, you could still develop a "dead cell". It's like a defect in the battery. This would cause some problems.

Reply to
Speez

Went to AutoZone and the battery was found bad, so replaced it with their 2nd best battery with 2 yrs free replacement and 7 yrs warranty.

Also tested generator, it was good.

Autozone service is good, very nice person there (helped me replace the battery).

Reply to
Simon Song