'97 saturn has problem starting, overheats, smokes,...help!

My '97 saturn SC2 will fire up, then when I put it in reverse, it dies. When I try to start it, I have to put the gas to the floor, and then the idle sputters and the car's exhaust smokes out my parking lot. If I wait too long at a red light, it overheats and spills water all over. I think it's a blown gasket, but would like some advice before I take it to the shop and spend more $$$ than I need to. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
CarProblem

What color smoke? Does it idle fast? Is it harder to start on colder days? Hard to start cold, but easier warm? Does the fan ever start up?

If it's 'black, yes yes yes, no', go replace your coolant temp sensor first. $15 part and easy to do yourself.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Pressure test the cooling system if you have any doubts. Coolant will have to go somewhere if there is a leak and you are more likely to find out where its going. A temp sensor could cause those problems though.

Reply to
blah blah