97 Saturn hesitates when accelerating

I have a 97 SL1 Manual Transmission Saturn that would hesitate when I accelerated. I changed the fuel filter...then I changed the fuel pump. It works 80% better but I still get a little hesitation when I give it the gas. Almost like it bogs down initially and then quickly comes out of it. Plus it will miss when idling. What could it be?

Reply to
rodod

How old are the plugs and wires? Are the plugs gapped properly at 0.040 (not 0.060 as some Saturn owner's documentation erroneously stated)?

Have you tried adding a bottle of some good fuel injector cleaner like Techron to a full tank of fuel to see if it helps to cleans out your injectors? If the fuel filter was old and the pump was marginal, then it's highly likely that your injectors are clogged and misfiring.

Another thought is to clean the throttle body using a good can of aerosol throttle body cleaner. This should help smooth out the rough idle if the plus and wires are good.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Dont forget to add to check resistance of the new wires as well. I dont know how many new sets of wires I've gotten with at least one bad wire. Also Autolite & AC Delco are the better brands. Bosch is junk so avoid them.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Same thing happened to me but the problem was coming and going. I was one of the two coil packs (worth CAN$75 or US$50).

Let us know what happens next,

Frank

97 SL1 111,000Mi
Reply to