97 SC2 - A/C not working

It was a nice warm day today, so I thought I would turn on the A/C in my 97 SC2. The A/C light on the control panel came on (and so did the recirc light), I turned the fan on, but all that I got was hot air. It wasn't even a little bit cooler.

A couple of years ago, I had the A/C recharged, and it had been working wonderfully. Now NOTHING.

I didn't even detect a drop in RPMs when I activated the A/C, so it sounds to me like the compressor isn't even running.

My Chilton's manual won't tell me a thing about the A/C, probably to keep me from ruining the environment by venting the refrigerant. Can anyone tell me anything about the A/C compressor? Does it have an electrically operated clutch mechanism? Can I measure voltages at certain points to see if the current is getting to it? Are there any fuses that I need to check? If the fuse were blown, would the A/C indicator on the control panel still light up anyway?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

Well you had it charged once so it does have a leak and when the charge gets low engough there is a low pressure switch that will prevent it from running at all (the compressor)

SnoMan