97 SC2 Coolant Temp Sensor

I recently had my water pump go out on my car, and my car overheated. I replaced the pump as well as the thermostat just because I was down there at the time. Now, my coolant temperature light relentlessly blinks on and off, and my car runs hotter than usual. I put in the 180° thermostat recommended by Saturn. I called Saturn and asked them about my temperature light. They said that it could have been damaged from the overheating. So I'm assuming that it's time to replace it.

Just some basic questions: Where is the sensor? Will I need to drain the radiator? Is there anything I need to take off to get to it (i.e. A/C)?

Thanks

Reply to
Neo155

I have a 97 SC2 and had to replace the coolant temp. sensor. It is on the drivers side of the motor....just below where the cam cover is. It has 2 wires coming out of it.

You will need to drain a little bit of coolant. The sensor is high enough so you don`t have to drain the whole thing.

If I remember right all you have to remove to get to it is the air intake. You will need a deep socket .....I can`t remember the size. It is a metric socket though. Could be a 5 or 7. Sorry. I took the original out and it was plastic and cracked. The one I bought at a local parts dealer was made of brass. Just my luck though I replaced the old one with the brass one and still had temp. problems with the engine. Turned out the new one I bought was faulty. I believe the part cost like $20.00. And of course the place I bought it at wouldn`t refund me. Good luck. Dan. ps. go to your local library and check out one of the Chiltons auto repair books. That is what I did.

Reply to
Mason121

Any tips on pulling the connector. It doesn't want to come off and I didn't want to break it.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Pinch it where it is the fattest. This will release the catches that are keeping the connector on the sensor.

Also, if the sensor is defective because it leaked (most likely scenario), replac> >>Just some basic questions: Where is the sensor?

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I agree with Kirk on getting the connector off. I remember it was tough to get it off the first time I tried. I didin`t replace the conector though...it was ok on my car. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121