97 SL Oil Pump Light

Group,

I have a 97 SL, 215K miles. Now that it is cold, the oil pump light takes a long time to go out. I can tell a difference in the valve tapping sounds when the light goes out. At idle, it flickers on. I have been using 10W-30 over the summer months. Any ideas?

Reply to
John Doe

You need to determine if the oil pressure light is on for a valid reason or not. This usually means removing the oil sender and measuring the oil pressure at that location using a manual oil pressure gauge.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I use that grade in my 94 Saturn with no problems. Maybe try 5W30? In my new Ford they specify 5W20. Fred

Reply to
Fred

I have the same saturn and 178k miles and it is suppose to have 5W30 in it. I use nothing but synthetic and never have oil problems.

Reply to
p_vouers

Bob, thanks. I have been reviewing my Haynes repair manual and it says the same thing. It mentions an oile pressure relief valve in teh housing. I'm begining to think it has something to do with that. The oil light has done this before early this year and then stopped acting up until just recently. For the $$ I can try a new sending unit to see what happens 1st.

Reply to
John Doe