97 SL1 Manual Trans

Group,

I have a 97 SL1, manual, with 220K+ miles. Original everything except cruise and brakes and typical tune-up items.

Problem: Very difficult to get into 1st gear at standstill. A little difficult from 1st into 2nd - you have to be patient and it will slowly go into 2nd. If you try too quickly the gears will grind going into 2nd. The other gears work fine. When cold, sometimes the clutch dosen't fully release and drags.

Question: Do you think the shifting problem is due to needing a new clutch or do you think I need to replace the trans too? Or would I be financially better off to send her to the auto-grave yard? Would hate to part with her after nearly 10 years... been like a sturdy woman.

Reply to
reh