98 SL2 Possible Head Gasket Problem

I have a 98 SL2 with 85k miles, that leaks significant amounts of oil and antifreeze. Also, it lacks a quite a bit of the power it used to have.

Is this a possible bad head gasket? Or, would a blown head gasket cause more/different problems?

Thanks. Jake

Reply to
Jake292

I had same problem, it was head gasket, i got the head planned to be sure it's strait, Checked for cracks. Your locky, 16 valves heads don't get cracked like 8 valves! "Jake292" a écrit dans le message de news:PtoGf.7870$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
D. Gignac

That's what I was afraid of. I went ahead and got some estimates, between $1,200 and $1,600. They said it would depend on whether the head needed to be replaced because of cracks or not. I wish I had a bigger garage, I would repair it myself.

D. Gignac wrote:

Reply to
Jake292

I did it in my drive way last summer, i have followed intructions in shilton manuel, cost me $250 including machine shop and a brand new torkewrench. The head is probably good. It ook me only some muscle grease!

good luck "Jake292" a écrit dans le message de news:6c1Hf.16691$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
D. Gignac