99 SL-2 dies while driving.

My daughter has a 99 SL2 with 55k has it serviced religiously (check up/oil etc) . While driving to work less than 13 miles , it just cut out. It did start after numerous attempts only to happen again the same day. To the Saturn dealer it went and they replaced the battery and she was told it was ok. 5 days later (last night) and 100 miles a away visiting her parents, while returning to her home, she went 1/2 mile and it happened once more. Would not start at all, we tried to jump it and after a long cranking it started only to die suddenly (just shuts down - oil lght/battery/silence) after 5 sec. She has the 6 year supp warranty and we called Saturn's 800 #. While arranging for the tow truck I tried once more and it turned over. Elapsed time was about 10 minutes from the last attempt. We then drove it straight to Saturn of West Chester 100 miles away with no problem.and left it there and we'll call them Mon AM.

What might the matter be?? I have a 95 Ram van which did the same shutting down when the engine got warm, turned out to be a cam shaft sensor. The Saturm basically was cool or cold. What do you think??

Tahnks, Barry

Reply to
Barry Kwasny

No cam sensor on there IIRC. Might be crank sensor from the sound of it. Does your daughter make a habit of driving on gas fumes? Checking fuel pressure when it doesnt start would be a good test. Dont crank on a car more than 15 seconds at a time. You dont want to overheat the starter.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Next time this happens, check for spark. I bet you won't have any.

There's two possible culprits - the crank sensor - it's in the back of the motor but supposedly easy to replace. And the ignition module - that's up front. The crank sensor's cheaper to replace, the module is like $150. Both are DIY jobs (you need jackstands for the crank sensor).

If that's the problem, don't be surprised if the car drives a bit nicer with the new module. I've seen it happen before...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski