'99 SL - Cracked cylinder head

I have a 1999 Saturn SL, 5 speed with just over 24000 miles. Since I bought it in February 2002, I have put on just under 8000 miles. My engine coolant light had been going off for a few days. I checked and replaced the coolant. Light went away, but came back a few days later. Had it checked out by a mechanic I always go to (with previous cars as well), and he said, "your oil is getting in the water, and the water is getting in the oil. You should not be having this kind of trouble for having this low of mileage. Take it to the dealer and fight for this."

So I go to the Saturn dealer in Clarence, NY. They look at it and they contacted my girlfriend (I was at work), and there is a crack in the cylinder head. That part alone is $950. Total cost of repairs with parts and labor is $2952.49. He said even though the car is out of warranty, it has been his experience in the past that Saturn "MAY" participate for HALF because of the low mileage. All hoses/ pumps etc that have come in contact with the oil would need to be replaced. The radiator etc need to be flushed. He said the cam-shaft may need to be replaced but he is not definite on that at this time.

This is outrageous. They did call back and tell her they will cover half. My warranty just ran out in March. The way I see it, and after researching this issue all day while at work, and now, that there are other cars and people out there with this same issue, I should not have to pay a dime. If anyone knows anything more about this, and about this "flaw", please let me know, and any links to sites, or where I can find more info out.

Thanks, Ian

Reply to
Spongebob

If the dealer questions the cam shafts being good, what about all the bearings in the engine? Is the head cracked, or is it the head gasket bad? Either is no fun. I think I'd be looking for a complete engine rebuild, rather then have bearing failure in 20,000 miles. And try to have Saturn pay for +90% of repair.

Reply to
<mcben

I would say - good luck getting them to pay. In their eyes the car is out of warranty and they have no obligation to fix the car for you. Though it really sucks, they have no legal obligation to fix it. Whatever money they give you towards it will pretty much be out of good will to keep the customer happy.

You have to call Spring Hill and tell them how close it is to the warranty period and how you don't have many miles. Also bring up that you've seen other cars with this problem. I would think you will have better luck trying to fight with the higher ups then at the dealer since the dealer won't be the one giving you a price break.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

All is well. After my research I talked to the Service Manager the same day I first posted this message, and said that "Half" would not be enough. Then he let me speak with his manager (probably regional manager), and said that Half is not good enough. He said that, "This is what they are doing in this situation." And I said back to him, well obviously this isn't the first time it has happened, since this is what they do in this "situation", and that

50/50 is not good enough since it is a reoccuring issue, and that there is a "flaw" in the cylinders dating back to '91. I said that will all the info I found out, that I will speak to whom ever I have to, to get this resolved. He said that he would again talk to the "Saturn people", but it was unlikely that it would be free. I said "We'll see, and again I'll go above your head, and whomever else I have to directly." He said he will be in touch.

He calls me back the next morning, and said they will cover everything except for a "deductible" of $250. Whatever they want to call the $250 payment, I don't care, b/c it is a lot better than 50/50, and certainly better than the full cost ($2952). So, it pays to do your research, to stand your ground, and speak up. If I hadn't said anything, they would've taken my $2952 without blinking. The car will done this Monday, or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks to all that replied to my post.

Ian

Reply to
Spongebob