A bad ground??

Hi, After reviewing several threads here I realize (and hope) that I am having trouble with a bad ground. Here's what my 96 SL2 did, let me know if you think I might be off base. The car has 200k miles on it and I'm not really interested in throwing much more money at it.

I replaced the alternator 3 wks ago after the battery light came on, the battery was replaced about 2yrs ago.

Two days ago I was driving and the transmission (4sp auto) really started to act up, hunting for gears, bad clunking on downshifts, not downshifting at traffic lights etc.. Also, the guages (tach, speedo, temp) started to fluctuate wildly and at random, going from zero to the proper level and back to zero. When the engine was revved up (climbing a hill or shifting to neutral and revving it) the guages would come back into line momentarily. After making it to my destination, and shutting it off, it wouldn't restart. Upon boosting the car started easily and drove for another 15 min before acting up again and finally stalling after about another 30min of crazy behaviour. It required boosting twice more during the last 10 miles of the trip.

If it is a bad ground I would be happy, if it is a computer problem I will be in the market for a new car.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

RQ

Reply to
ricojd

RQ,

Have you properly cleaned your battery posts and the cable connectors? What voltages do you measure when the car is sitting idle/not running, after it is started, when you have accessories running and under heavy load? These are best measured right at the battery negative and positive terminals. Although this could be a bad ground or defective cable, it is also possible that your two year old battery is the root cause.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

eBay (or most salvage yards) have replacement PCMs for under $50 - if, by odd chance, that's what it ended up being.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ] "Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."

Reply to
Lane

Um,

What you're describing are the classic symptoms of a failing alternator.

Where did you get the alternator, and was it a quality alternator? Was it one of those cheap aftermarket units?

The battery and alternator supply the power for the powertrain control module (the computer). If that Voltage is not good and solid (either low, or getting lots of transients on it due to a failing alternator) then the computer will get confused.

Of course, check your grounds, your battery terminals, and the condition of the battery. But, I'd put better than even money that your (new) alternator failed.

Sorry, and good luck!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen