A few problems

I have a few problems with my Saturn 2000 LS1.

First, my keyless entry does not work. It started dying a few months ago. I had to push the buttons in harder and longer for it to work. Now it doesnt work at all. I have two transmitters and both, even with new batteries, do not work. How do I fix this?

Second, my gas mileage is horrible. I only get 17 mpg in the city and

24 on the highway when I should be getting 23 in the city and 33 on the highway. I recently had a 30,000 mile tuneup but that didn't fix the problem. This low mileage has been consistent since I started tracking it a year ago.

Third, my brakes squeak. Now, I understand this may be normal but that doesn't make it any less annoying. I'd understand if there was no way to remedy this but any advice on how to reduce the squeaky noises would be appreciated.

I suppose this is the end of my list of problems. Perhaps it would be easiest to take it to a mechanic. There is no Saturn dealer where I live since I moved from where I originally bought it.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Reply to
agentchuckles

Sorry- can't help with the keyless entryas I don't know anything about them.

The low mileage - do you get your gas at the same place all the time? Change up and see if you notice a difference. Sometimes the gas stations have water in their storage tanks or worse and it can really hurt your mileage. Also, a lead foot can easily bring your mileage within the range you're experiencing. Further, though people love to holler about platinum plugs, they've done nothing but hurt my mileage (maybe theyre not in the same heat range?). I stick with the OEM or equivalent plugs and have better success. Other problems could be the catalytic convertor or other item in the exhaust causing too much back pressure, bad O2 sensor, dirty air filter - any number of things.

The brake squeal I lived through myself. I fixed it by getting the top end NAPA brake pads and rotors. No more noise. Incidentally, Saturn rotors tend to warp on panic stops. Got rid of this problem too.

H> I have a few problems with my Saturn 2000 LS1.

Reply to
Bob Duncan

First, what city are you in? Have you checked online, no dealers? If not there must be a local shop who specializes in Saturns if you are that far away from a dealer.

1.) You need to have your key fobs resynched with the sensor in the car, if not, the sensor itself needs to be looked at. As the sensors and remotes get older, they acan lose range though, but you shoudnt ever have to mash the buttons down.

2.) Have you had a fuel system cleaning? Saturn uses BG treatments, you can find BG at many other shops too, just STP wont cut it. You can try Chevron Techron additive a few times to see if it improves also. Have the throttle body cleaned too and check the air filter.

3.) Brake squeaking is unfortunately a normal evil of just about all oem brakes, not just Saturns. Condensation, friction and normal surface rust can make this happen. Two things you can do: Apply Stop Squeak to the brakes or replace the rotors and pads and have stop squeak applied to the new ones. Brembo or Wagner makes nice oem replacement brake parts that are inexpensive. (get dust free pads, that will solve another problem).

I do suggest that you call around, call your orig dealer and ask where the closest dealer is, but if not there are bound to be a few shops that know Saturns.

Cheers! marx404

Reply to
marx404

On the low fuel mileage, make sure that you check other obvious non-engine related stuff, like the air pressure in your tires and that your brake calipers are not dragging.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

On my '97 SL2, I've had problems with the keyless remote. I fix them like this:

  1. Snap open the remote. The style used for my '97 snaps in half so that batteries can be replaced. Remotes that aren't made this way will be difficult or impossible to repair as I'm discribing.
  2. Remove the circuit board to get to the rubber button insert. There's a little black graphite button inside the rubber that contacts the circuit board. This accumulates a greasy substance that must be removed. Electronics contact cleaner or even soap and water will work. Just make sure it's dry before putting it back together.
  3. Clean the contact points on the circuit board corresponding to the buttons using an electronics contact/relay cleaner. Contact cleaner can be found at any good electronics supply store.
  4. Put the control back together and test all functions.
  5. More vigorous cleaning can be done, if needed, by scrubbing the contact points with an ordinary pencil eraser, but a pencil eraser does cause wear on the contacts.

I find that this procedure fixes the problem for a few months. I suspect that the aging rubber is oozing plasticizer that gets onto the circuit board and blocks current flow through the contacts. I also have been using this procedure to fix my satellite dish remote control, which is constructed in the same way.

Of course if you can't open the control, like if the battery is replaced through a little porthole in the back instead of the whole thing coming apart, then you can't do this trick. In that case it might be easier to just buy two new controls and get them set up with the car. New ones will work for a few years before they start acting up again. That would also solve the problem on my controls that the screen-printed labels on the buttons have worn away.

RK Henry

Reply to
RKHenry