Aftermarket Sunroof

Alright, after actually having time to do research myself, I've come across this:

It sounds more promising than a Saturn roof would - actual metal rails!

anything else that would provide an easy install? I'm just looking for a way to fix my sunroof - or replace it with something that'll work better and not break because its 50% plastic.

Reply to
HyperCube33

Hey, that's pretty good. A few years ago I had to pay Saturn a fistful of dollars to replace the module because I was too busy at the time to fix it myself. It's nice to know there's a cheaper alternative. I'm making a note for future reference.

When they replaced my module, the process of removing the headliner broke up the old, rotting foam backing of the headliner material. It started drooping so I couldn't see out the back. I replaced it myself for just a few bucks with headliner fabric from the fabric store. They even had the 3M spray adhesive to stick it on with. The foam in the new material was a bit thicker than the original so the new headliner is a bit cushier looking and I had to make a slight compromise on the color. Re-covering on a sunroof car takes a bit more fabric since you have to not only cover the headliner board but also the sun shield shutter. I had my mother sew new material on the sun visor blades. I still haven't figured out a good way to reattach the convenience mirror on the right side. I'm thinking of trying pop rivets, hot glue didn't work.

If I had it to do over, I would replace the sunroof module with one of the rebuilt units and I would replace the headliner at the same time to eliminate the need to remove the headliner board twice. The fiberglass backing is rather delicate, so minimizing the number of times it's removed will help extend its life.

RK Henry

Reply to
RK Henry

Awesome. Is it possible to get a brand new headliner from saturn somehow? Do I have to get an aftermarket one?

I'm wondering how much that'd cost.

Is there any guide on removing the headliner (so I dont destroy it accidentally? ;)

Reply to
HyperCube33