Alternator??

I got into my car went to start it and the battery was dead. Pushed to start (standard, 95 SL2) battery did not charge/will not charge. When I try to start get click/Brrrrrr sound, battery is dead. Put a new starter on the car about year and half ago. What makes the click/Brrrrr sound? What kind of problem does this sound like, starter, alternator, battery??? Thanks in advance for tips.

Reply to
Laurie

First thing I would check are your connections. Check the ground wire from the battery to the engine and then check the postive cable from the battery to the starter.

Make sure they are tight and look for any signs of wear, such as bare wires etc.

It could be that you have a bad battery, solenoid, or even the starter.

Start with the simple stuff first like the connections.

Reply to
whoareyou4

the click/Brrr that you hear is the starter solenoid (on the starter motor). When the battery voltage is too low to properly run the starter solenoid and starter, you get that buzzing sound.

If the battery is more than four years old, think about replacing it in any event. Sometimes you get lucky and can pull off the battery cables, clean the terminals and your're back in business. Corrosion on the battery terminals can cause those problems.

You can also measure the battery voltage (simple voltmeters are now very inexpensive). Battery voltage for a properly charged battery with engine off should be about 12V. With the engine running the voltage should be almost

14V. This voltage should be pretty constant regardless of engine speed or load (turn on headlamps and blower)

hope that points you in the right direction - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Also check the other end of the wires. I had the ground wire get loose at the block. Then again if you already replaced the starter, maybe the wire on the starter got loose?

Reply to
Gary