alternator question

Hi, I have a 92 sl2 with 85,000 miles. The alternator was replaced the first time at 60,000 miles and went again at 70,000 and again at 85,000. I know this subject has been reported many times on this news group but I have yet to see any solutions. Saturn had a recall (97-t-22)in June of 97 for generator and engine wiring harness but I don't know the specifics of this recall. If anyone has any information regarding a fix for this problem I would sure appreciate it. Thanks, Doug Braun

Reply to
dugb

You might be looking at a symptom of a problem not the problem. It doesnt sound to me as if the alternator is at fault. If its a 92 with "only" 85,000 miles on it I can tell right now it doesnt get drove a lot. If it sits a long time the battery gets discharged. When the battery is discharged it puts stress on the alternator. First thing I would do is check to see if the battery will hold a charge. If the battery is old try replacing it. If you dont drive it often or for long periods at a time then get a solar panel to trickle charge the battery. Harbor Freight has them for 10 bucks or so.

Reply to
Blah Blah

I would have the battery checked out by someone that can give you a credible test.

The recall was simply a wire that was replaced from the starter to the alternator. The new wire had a fusible link built in to prevent a fire incase of a short in the electrical system, mainly the alternator.

James

Reply to
James1549

My '92 alternator died at 70,000. I bought a replacement at Saturn for around $90. 30,000 later it is still a good one. Where are you buying your parts? Genuine Delco? or cheapo Autozone?

James

Reply to
James1549