annoying key in 02 SC1

Almost every time I try to start my car, I have trouble inserting a key in the ignition. It seems like it is getting stuck, and is very hard to turn to ACC position. I'm afraid one day it is going to break off inside. Does anyone have the same problem? Have you worked out a solution?

Reply to
Darius

this is a VERY common topic, frequently discussed. This is a "feature" on many GM vehicles which locks the steering wheel and ignition when the car is in park. Why? as a safety feature I think. Anyways, all you simply need to do is wiggle the steering wheel and the key will work.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Reply to
Darius

Almost every time I try to start my car, I have trouble inserting a key in the ignition. It seems like it is getting stuck, and is very hard to turn to ACC position.

Oh no, no, no! I know what steering wheel locking is. The wheel is not locked when it happens at all. I think in order to lock the wheel you actually have to wiggle to wheel after you remove the key after driving. I don't ever do that, unless the vehicle is designed to do that automatically. Is it?

I know what you mean. I have a 97 SC2 and it started having this same problem right after I bought it. I thought it was the lousy key where the points of it were wearing off very fast. It seemed to work better when I had a new key made.....now I have a dozen or so "new" keys on hand. The key, new or old, had resistance when trying to insert them into the ignition. I went to a Locksmith and told them the story and they recommended a lubricant to spray into the ignition, they gave me the can to spray some into the ignition right there. It worked. I don't remember the type of lubricant though.....but it's been over a year now and I haven't had any more problems except for once in awhile I have to put the key in and out several times before the ignition turns. I understand the steering lock deal where if the steering wheel gets locked after the key is removed and you don't remove the pressure of the locked steering wheel....the ignition key won't turn. Hope this helps. Dan.

Reply to
DannyB20

Perhaps it may be your key itself. Many locks when the key is excessively worn wont work. Look at your key. Now go to Saturn and have a cheap $6. replacement made and that might fix it. This is also a common issue. Also, too much weight on your keychain can cause excess wear on your key when in the ignition. Using a badly worn key can also wear the lock cylinder too.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

The Saturn dealer should be able to provide you with a brand new key base on the key number for your vehicle. If you no longer have the key number, the dealer should be able to pull if from the VIN number.

In a worst case. A competent locksmith can remove the lock cylinder and inspect and or replace the pins in the cylinder.

Reply to
M. Cantera

Reply to
Darius