Auto Trans Fluid Capacity

I have a 96 SL2. I changed the trans fluid and filter and instead of the 4.2 quarts that the book calls for, I needed 5 quarts to bring it into the middle of the OK section on the dip stick. Is this normal? I checked it with the car running, hot and on level ground.

Andy

Reply to
AJRBJR

When I changed mine, it used 4 qts. When I drain my trans and filter, I put all the fluid in a bucket with measurements on the side. That way I know exactly how much I drained out. I then refill with the same amount. Very seldom it requires more than I drained out.

James1549

Reply to
James1549

I figured leaving the filler cap off would have let enough air in to allow it to drain more but I left the drain plug off while I removed the filter and I noticed that a lot more came out from the drain as the filter was removed. I don't think it was a whole quart though.

Andy

Reply to
AJRBJR

One question... was the car jacked up on one side causing a "non level" condition?

Reply to
Speez

Nope. As level as level gets. I checked it today after a fairly long drive and it was right at the O in OK and that is with 5 quarts. Confusing eh?

Andy

Reply to
AJRBJR