back up switch

94sl..i was told i need a bakcup switch on. i know what it looks like but, where is it located. i was told under the gear stick.(manual)
Reply to
regigi

Reverse switch for backup lights is located on the center top of the 5 speed manual transmission. It engages the transmision internal shift rail

Reply to
private

The backup light switch on my '95 SL2 sits on top of the transmission housing. If you look straight down just behind the battery, you'll see it. The switch comes out with a 7/8" deep-set socket.

It looks about the same setup on my '01 SC2, but there's an electronics package just aft of the battery that seems to require removal before the backup switch can be accessed.

Reply to
williamkilgore

The switch is mounted on top of the transmission housing, to the driver's side of the engine, and can be seen by looking down just behind and below the battery. It is easily removable using an 7/8" deep-set socket and extender. The part is available at auto parts stores as well as Saturn and should cost $16-17.

You can see some pictures at

Bill