Bad backup light switch?

Anyone every had the backup light switch on manual trans. go bad? This is the first time I have had one fail. The switcht makes contact when the ball is pushed all the way in, but guess the actuator in the trans. does not press it in very far. I suppose the oil could have gotten up into the contacts. Thanks, MR

Reply to
MR

This happened to my 1994 SC2 last year and I have read half a dozen post on this. It seems to be happening more and more as the cars reach ten years old.

Reply to
Stan

So, that's what it is! This has recently happened to my '95 SL-2 I took a look at the circuit breaker, and it was fine. Was planning to drop the car off at mechanic's place to have him check it out.

Thanks for the tip!

Any guestimates on how much is it to fix it?

Thanks

"Stan" wrote in news:BSDrb.29580$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Reply to
Paul

Just replace this very part yesterday myself. It was only $15 at Advance, and they had 'em in stock. Last year my '94 SL2 failed State inspection because of no reverse lights. Turns out the contacts at the switch were all gunked up, primarily owing to its poor location right on the dirtiest area of the tranny. The guy cleaned it then, and got the lights to work again....but they stopped working about 6 months later. Checked the contacts again this time, but all looked clean...and the switch "looked" ok...ball tension was still good, etc. Replacing the switch was a last-gasp...but it worked like a charm!

Eric

Reply to
E. Reed