Battery In The Trunk

Who started this?,I KNOW when the time comes,it's going to be a major bitch to take all the junk out of the trunk just to fnd out what the deal is.

Reply to
teem

As opposed to moving all the junk covering it under the hood?

Reply to
blah blah

One reason to put it there is too keep it cool so it lasts longer. My 300M has its battery in the wheel well and after 6 years I decided to replace it even though it was fine. In NC batteries usually last 4 or 5 years tops.

Reply to
Art

oh teem... :-)

old school street rod racers back in the early '50s were some of the 1st to put batteries in the trunk to separate the battery from the engine heat and ease maintenance. Older manufacturers also did this for the same reasons. (really, the only drawback to this is attenuation, Saturn could have used a more poweful alternator and thincker wiring going to the battery to keep the battery fully charged).

As far as the ION, I have seen it used as a favorite of audio junkies because of the battery making power hookup so easy. APC and a few others have been using an ION for audio sales displays at NOPI shows lately.

hey, so put all your cr*p on the backseat or buy a small trailer if it really bothers you, lol.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

If charging voltage drop is the issue, run the alternator output and voltage sense lines to the battery. Run the power feed to the fuss box from the battery. This compensates charging voltage for any voltage drops. Need 4 gauge wire or heavier to support the starter. Also a good idea to run a heavy wire for the - line too since there is no good chasis connection.

Reply to
Oppie

I was just implymenting a form of murphys law,& being sarcastic,I thought Saturn did this just to be cool & different.Just take out contents in the trunk & finding out the batterys o.k.,or to check that green spot,they still use that green spot,right?.On 29 Aug 2005

18:48:05 -0700, "James1549" wrote:

Reply to
teem