Brake Dust on L300?

All of the brake dust that accumulates on the tire rims is driving me crazy. Is there any way to really clean them off with out scrubbing, and scrubbing, and scrubbing? It takes we about ten minutes a tire, and they still look bad when I am done. I have tried all of theose spray on, and wash off chemicals, and they do not work very good. Is there an easy way to clean off all of this brake dust that I am not aware of? Thanks in advance, for any help on this.

BILL!

Reply to
BILL GOEHRING

I dont know whwt you are using, but I use Maguires wheel cleaner spray and thier long wheel cleaner brush or a terry cloth. I can clean my L300 chrome wheels in minutes with little effort.

If there is really excessive brake dust, then you can change out the brake pads for dust free type, buy 'em at any Auto parts store, they usually are cheaper than OEM.

Also, try to avoid road tar and grease and running thru puddles, that will make brake dust turn even more messy.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

]31, 2006, 7:21am (PDT+3) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@404.com (marx404)

]I dont know whwt you are using, but I use ] Maguires wheel cleaner spray and thier long ] wheel cleaner brush or a terry cloth. I can ] clean my L300 chrome wheels in minutes with ] little effort.

Thanks for the advice I will try that product, and see if it helps.

}If there is really excessive brake dust, then you ] can change out the brake pads for dust free ] type, buy 'em at any Auto parts store, they ] usually are cheaper than OEM.

There are huge amounts of Brake dust on my tire rims. I can clean them, and in less than a week they are black again. I had that Teflon coating put on my tire rims at my Saturn dealer, $20, and it worked for about two weeks, and now it is back to pretty major black brake dust accumulation.

Are those Dustless brake pads available at Saturn dealers, or do you have to go to another place to have them installed? Thanks!

BILL!

Reply to
BILL GOEHRING

only OEM parts are available usually at dealers. As said before, get the pads at Advance Auto, AutoZone, NAPA, etc.. You can install them yourself or bring them to your dealer, they will do it.

Also, there is a Technical service bulletin you can make your service dept mechanic aware of concerning complaints of excessive brake dust on L300 series, I don't know the number of that bulletin.

I use Akebono brake pads, bought them at the local parts store cheap, hardly any brake dust, and what is there isn't sticky. There are other brands of dust free pads too.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

My 03 Oin has those lovley aluminum monstrocities,i really dont bother cleaning them,now Saturn saved mucho $$$ by going back to steel rims,w/a plastic cover so no one would be wiser.

Reply to
teem

teem, whatever yer smokin' pass it on! you funny.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

]1, 2006, 6:12am (PDT+3) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@404.com (marx404)

]Also, there is a Technical service bulletin you ] can make your service dept mechanic aware ] of concerning complaints of excessive brake ] dust on L300 series, I don't know the number ] of that bulletin.

So do you think if I go to my Saturn dealer and complain about excessive Brake Dust they will do something about it, or is that just wish-full thinking on my part?

]I use Akebono brake pads, bought them at the ] local parts store cheap, hardly any brake dust, ] and what is there isn't sticky. There are other ] brands of dust free pads too.

Thanks for the information!

BILL!

Reply to
BILL GOEHRING