Brake Master Cylinder and changing it ???

I believe I have a problem with the master cylinder of a 1995 Saturn SW2 ... The brake pedal goes almost to the floor when I brake during driving. With the engine off, the brakes pump up 'ok' ... When I then start the engine (with pressure still on the pedal), the pedal goes almost to the floor. The car has ABS. Neither the service light nor the ABS light comes on ... although the ABS light came on a couple of times a few weeks ago before I had a brake peddle problem.

I found a rebuild master cylinder ... the problem is that I have never changed a master cylinder on a car with ABS ... Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Bob

Reply to
BobC

Just curious, what makes you think its a master cylinder instead of, say, a split brake line?

In Feb, the brake pedal went to the floor in my fathers old ride(92 LeSabre). Upon inspection I found that the inside of the right front tire was covered in brake fluid. I pulled the tire and found that the rubber hose running from the steel hose near the frame to the caliper itself had dry rotted and split through. Earlier this month, he told me the pedal went to the floor again, and I guessed it was probably the right side rubber hose........sure enough.

I would check the brake system over before you change the master cylinder.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Reply to
BobC

Ah ok. A buddy of mine's chevy had a bad master cylinder. You'd be driving the car and all of a sudden the brake pedal would go to the floor.......fun fun fun. But it could be fixed by pumping the brakes.

Reply to
BANDIT2941