Brakes question

Girlfriend had squeaky front brakes.. 1999 Saturn SL1.. It need new pads, and I installed them. Now, the sqeaking stoipped, but the pedal goes almost to floor. Fluid level is ok. Did I do something wrong, or its there an adjustment procedure I missed. Sheesh, I put them on my Pontiac without a problem and these are pretty much the same.. HELP Thanks in advance

Reply to
DMHenrie

You probably shoved the piston farther back into the cylinder more than was needed to get the new pads on. You have to pump the brake pedal several times to drive the piston far enough out to engage the pads.

Then check the brake fluid level.

ron

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

This could be the case, but if so, then the vehicle would not be stopping properly (rear brakes only or just one front which would cause it to pull hard to one side).

Another possibility here is that you might not have gotten them back on properly. The only way to tell though will be to disassemble and do a visual inspection. It would be hard to get everything back together if it was not aligned correctly, but not impossible.

A last possibility no one has mentioned is dependent upon if you bled the brakes. If so, you likely have air in your system and need to complete the bleeding properly again. You don't mention doing this so if you did not open the system it should not be your problem.

Good luck and post what you find for others to benefit.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman