burning oil...?

I drive a 96 Saturn sc2. 2 door voup. Black. I recently changed out the radiator, water pump, belt and plugs/wires and I noticed the other day that I'm putting oil in it. Betweek oil changes and this leads me to be almost certain that I am in fact burning oil. I've got about 130,000 miles on it and I will most likely keep this car forever. I l ove it. I don't want to have to do any serious/ week long tinkering.. but w hat can I do (other than soak it in some wonder fluid and change out the va lve cover gasket) to ease up the oil consumption? Any suggestions?

Reply to
whackingbarrel

My bad 2 door coup* and putting oil between oil changes*

Reply to
whackingbarrel

I assume that it is not leaking anywhere? Possibilities are something in the PCV system where oil is getting sucked back into the intake, worn valve stem seals where the oil gets into the intake or bad oil control piston rings.

Try a good motor flush in the oil for a few oil changes and see what happens. With any luck, there is some crud around the piston rings and oil control ring that is preventing them from seating properly.

If you have alternate transportation, pulling the engine and having it rebuilt may be an option. I've done that in the past. Dropping off the block (after stripping it down to the basics myself) at a rebuilder was $1500. Far less than a rebuilt exchange engine.

Reply to
Oppie