Buying a 2004 Ion 1

I'm thinking about buying an 2004 Ion 1. I've never owned a Saturn before. I would like to get some feedback from some seasoned Saturn veterans on weather it would be a good thing or not.

Jeff

Reply to
Hammerdown3000

Hi Jeff,

Check

I own a 2003 ION3, and wish I had waited for the 2004 to get the better sound system (and the standard CD player in the 2004s plays MP3s). Some people have complained about steering and auto gearbox issues, noisy fuel pump, and also about water leakage in heavy rain.

The 2004s do not have (AFAIK) the same steering, gearbox, and fuel pump issues as the factory has improved these items. Rain leakage seems to affect only a few people (not me).

My ION3 does not seem to have any steering or gearbox problems, and the noisy fuel pump is being replaced under warranty. BTW my car is only 3wks old. The car is enjoyable to drive, and is very peppy, having a 140 HP engine.

Some people do not like the small steering wheel or the instrument cluster being in the centre. Its fine with me.

I would buy another ION.

Reply to
Chris Seal

Just to hijack this thread for a minute, what am I looking for in with this noisy fuel pump issue? I usually have the stereo cranked so probably haven't noticed anything.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

There is a service bulletin regarding problems some have had on 2003 Ions built up to VINs ending in 3Z149949, with excessive buzzing/vibration noise from the fuel pump. The noise is caused by the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump module, the fix being for them to replace the fuel pump module.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Hi Charles,

After shutting off the engine (and not having the stereo on), there is a few seconds of loud(ish) humming from the rear of the car. Some people hear this when driving (I do not).

There is a Saturn Technical Information Bulletin (03-05-04-024 I think the number is. I have a FAX of it which is not too clear). The subject is: "Excessive buzzing, growling noise, vibration from rear of vehicle". It affects "2003 Saturn ION vehicles -- built up to and including VIN breakpoint 3Z149949"

My dealer is replacing mine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Seal

That is probably normal - for some reason the Ion keeps the fuel pump on a few seconds after the engine is shut off, whereas on most cars it turns off immediately. Only if the noise is loud enough to be heard over the running engine is it likely a problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

You have 30 days to return it and buy a 2004, though I'm willing to wager that you got a very good deal on the 2003; enough to buy a better sound system.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Re: 30 days. This avenue was explored and denied by GM. Only exchanging a 2003 for a 2003 was allowed.

Reply to
Chris Seal