Camber Bolts

I have a 2000 SW with a bit of an alignment problem. I took it in for an alignment (non-dealer) and got it back with a typical little spec sheet. After alignment, front cross-camber was still listed as out of spec with a short note that said something to the effect of "needs new cam bolts". I have no experience with alignment issues, but assume that the bolts are too rusted or something.

Is this something I could replace myself and then have it realigned? partsamerica.com lists camber adjusting bolt kits from $17-27, which I am willing to bet is cheaper than having a shop replace them. I have to admit, I don't know where these are located under the car...

Thanks

Reply to
oligoguy

They are 2 large bolts, one above the other, located at the bottom of the strut and above the cv joint (if in the front). They will be a bitch to remove and if you need new struts now's the time to find out by jousting your vehicle and counting the bounces. (should of been check before alignment.) When replacing them and use Anti-Seize Compound on all bolt threads.

Reply to
blah blah

The strut is held to the hub/knuckle assembly with 2 big bolts - see this photo:

. Camber boltsreplace at least one of them with a smaller diameter bolt that's oblongwhich allows some adjustment where there would otherwise be none. Most shops (including my local Saturn) will just make the bolt hole in the strut housing slightly oblong and use the original bolt. You can see a photo of what the holes then look like here:
.This accomplishes the samething, doesn't require extra parts, and maintains the strength of theoriginal full-sized bolt. I've done this on both of my Saturns. These photos are from the 92 SC suspension page on my website. Visit it if you'd like to see more detail.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Thanks a lot blah blah and Lane! I did not realize that it was not adjustable to begin with, and now I have a pretty good idea how to deal with it. I agree with blah blah that it looks like a pain, but I think it is easier for a guy like me to replace a bolt rather than widen the hole as Lane has done (nice website/work by the way).

Reply to
oligoguy

Well if you got the right tools to break those rusty bolts free it wont be so bad. They are pretty easy to access once the wheels off. Widening the hole just takes a Die Grinder. For penetrating oil I use PB Blaster. It seems to work but some bolts it takes nothing short of a torch to free them. Dont want to boil the fluids in your struts though.

Reply to
blah blah