Can Anyone Tell Me What This Car Is Worth?

I have a Saturn 1996 SL2 5 speed with 120k miles. The care has always been serviced and is in prime condition inside and out.

A few months ago someone backed into me and caused some damage on right front. It will need light assembly replaced and side panel is cracked as well, and hood which probably has to be replaced(unless it can be knocked out). Other than needing a muffler the car is in excellent mechanical condition with everything in perfect working order, air, casette etc and is in perfect drivable condition.

The insurance adjuster did a very thorough report and valued the car at $2300 without the damage of course. Body shop says it will cost $900 to repair with a new hood.

I don't know if I want to bother repairing it so does anyone have a rough idea what I can sell it for? As I said it needs a muffler too and maybe some pipes or entire assembly.

Thank-you

Reply to
Saturn

$2300 would be in the right neighborhood for a replacement car from a used car dealer. If you were selling it yourself you would get a few hundred less most likely.

So figure before wreck you could have sold it for 2k and it needs 900 worth of work. I would think you could get 900 to 1200 for it as is.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

"Saturn" wrote in news:4JYii.1919$Pv2.1669@trnddc03:

Nada Guide for my zip area reports:

Low Retail Clean Retail Value High Retail Base Price $1,700 $2,475 $3,050 Mileage - 120,000 miles TOTAL PRICE $1,700 $2,475* $3,050

  • This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report.

Assuming you have A/C. The side panel is probably $300-$400 for a used panel and paint/labor. The hood another $300-$400 for same. A muffler and tailpipe should run less than $175.

As for what it is worth, totally depends on what a buyer will pay. I don't mean to be glib, but I recently sold a 1978 full size Ford van for my asking price of $1300. I have no clue I would get my asking price

- I expected someone to nibble it down to $900. The fair market value listed told me to expect about $500-$800. Despite the body cancer, is was mechanically sound and suited a buyer's need.

Reply to
Steph

The OP also noted "It will need light assembly replaced".

Reply to
bo peep

I recently went to the local self serve 'picknpull' auto wrecking yard and purchased all the plastic body and door panels and front bumper and a hood for $50. total. Even the color was right so little/no paint work will be needed. IIRC they were having a 1/2 price sale that day but even full price is a huge bargain.

The self serve yards are great because you get to practice the removal before you pay and you get to fully inspect the parts after removal. You also get to keep all the fasteners and when you find a car the same as yours you can get spare parts like starters and alternators that commonly fail. When buying starters and alternators you are advised to take them to AutoZone or similar for testing while still under warranty. These cars are not difficult to work on and with a little TLC can be economically serviceable for a long time. Occasionally you can find serviceable tires on rims selling for less than the bare cost of mounting.

The only real caution I would make is where there is damage to the steering system which can be very hard and expensive to repair properly and can lead to alignment problems and severe tire wear.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

You still have a self-serve auto wrecker ? ...they haven't existed in my part-of-the-world for 25 years ! or more .. Enjoy it while it lasts. john t

Reply to
hubops