car dies

very odd thing here.......Starts right up from a COLd start....but if I drive down the road and stop (don't even have to turn off engine...the idle drops and most of the time dies. 4 hours later I can get into the car and it starts but immediately dies. smells like it has flooded out. I can sometimes get it started and keep the idle above 1500 and it will continue to run but if I need to stop say at the store it won't start upon return it just does the ra ra ra ra...but won't turn over. Would this be something with the choke? or is it the fuel pump?

Reply to
jettaway

jettaway

We had a similar problem w/ our '93 SL1 was the fuel filter. Have you checked for any codes?

Reply to
marx404

I had a similar problem with a '95 sw2. It would start and then I could drive for a while (Sometimes a few days sometime a few minutes) before the engine would just shut off. This would usually happen while I was driving (moving). It ended up being the fuel pump. The pump is in the gas tank. The gas actually keeps the pump cool. When the fuel level got lower the pump would cool less and as a safety measure it would turn off before it got too hot!

The problem with this type of problem is that it could be several things. Unfortunately I changed several parts before I found the root of the cause. I wasted a lot of money and time because of this.

There's a way to test the fuel pressure in the engine compartment. Next time this happens test the pressure. If you don't have fuel pressure then it is most likely a filter or pump problem. If the engine dies only minutes after starting then I would suspect the filter. If it takes longer then maybe a pump. The problem with the pump is price and time to remove and install. You want to be pretty confident that it is really the pump before you put that kind of effort into it.

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
jettaway via CarKB.com

If we had a FAQ, this problem (and solution) would be VERY high on a list ordered by relevance and frequency!

Reply to
Steve