car wont start in the rain

engine just turns and turns but wont catch. Start it in the sun, starts right up

any ideas?

and no, I can't move to AZ

Reply to
Tenzo

Your cars a picky S O B.

Seriously though. Find out which its not getting when it wont start, Air Fuel, or Spark.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Been there. Next time it's wet out have somebody crank the engine while you look under the hood. Look at the coil pack where the four plug wires come out. If you see lots of sparking then you have cracks in the coil pack and will need to replace it (or you can attempt to cover the cracks with a high temperature epoxy like JB weld).

Reply to
micven55

JB weld contains metal and wouldnt insulate the coil. Usually they crack internally from one winding to the next because of bad wires or plugs.

Reply to
Blah Blah

The cracks are fine enough that the epoxy won't seep in and make contact with the coils (if you got bigger cracks than that you've got other problems). The purpose is to keep the water out. My epoxy fix has held up for over 15000 miles. Beats the cost of a new coil pack. Never thought of looking at the contents of the epoxy, it's just what I had on hand. I'm sure any other high temp epoxy will do the job.

Reply to
micven55

Hey, my dad had a Vega that was like that :) I think it was '74 or '75 or '76 that Chevy changed the ignition, and actually advertised that the car was more likelty to start in the rain (!)

Everyone else has it right - when it doubt, check the spark, first...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Had someone turn it over for me while I watched. I could not see any sparks.

But that sure does sound like the right spot. It's getting air It's getting gas

Reply to
Tenzo

Pulled the leads of and looked at the points. yuck! they were filled with white powder. Which absorbed moisture which insulated the connection so the plugs wouldn't fire.

Any reason not to go at the plugs with a small metal file and brass brush to get them nice and shiny and making good contact again?

Reply to
Tenzo