Cat converter for L300 2001

My 2001 Saturn L300 is having a serious power loss. The dealer says its a clogged cat and will cost about $1500 in parts alone. Cats on line are around a hundred bucks, but are not approved for CA. At this point I dont even care about passing smog, I just want to squeeze another year out of this car. Any ideas or cheaper options available? Thanks....

Reply to
maremski

Have you checked with an independent muffler shop? I'm not talking about Midas or any of the big chains necessarily. There are some complex parts in the exhaust system and sometimes a small shop with a custom tube bender can be very cost effective.

Reply to
Oppie