change oil soon light

I have a 2001 saturn L200 with the 2.2l engine. I changed the oil and RESET the "change oil soon" light as per the owners manual and recieved the confirmation flashes. The "change oil soon" light still comes on and stays on. Is my computer broken? The "change oil soon" light does go out after being reset but comes back on after driving only a minute or two.

Reply to
nssms

If the light goes out after being reset, you are doing it correctly. The Change Oil Soon lamp goes on as a function of mileage and engine temperature; the higher the engine temperature, the sooner the light comes on. Do you have any warning lights: check engine or service?

Not sure if it is the same with the 2.2L but I can do a reset of the ECU on my '01 LW300 by removing the controls B+ fuse for 10 seconds from the underhood fuse block. Worth a try and then reset the oil timer again. If all else fails, keep paper records. I've got 209,000 miles on my '01 now and it's getting tired...

Reply to
Oppie