Change to D2, 1992 Saturn, in Austria.

I'm in Europe,Austria, with a 92 Saturn SL1. The began to lose power. Indicator light said Shift to D2. That helped a bit but the car continued to lose power. Battery went dead. I had it towed to a garage and they said they have no way to diagnose it, can't fix it. Help. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
TER

I bet the alternator's bad. It's common on Saturns and it's preceeded by the transmission acting funny.

Often, automatic transmission problems are a sign the alternator/charging system is going bad.

Replace the alternator AND the battery. Put a new belt on too if the old one's old. It's an easy job through the wheelwell on the engine side of the car. You need jackstands to lift the front up off the ground a foot or two, too.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Alternator has gone bad. It's a "standard" GM/Delco alternator available at any auto parts store here in the US but don't know where to get one in Austria.

That's pretty sad. "Shift to D2" is a red herring that might confuse them, though.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa