Cigarette Lighter Off with Ignition

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just in case:

I've got a 2001 SL2 and now have a radar detector in it (stupid speeding ticket - first one in 10 years). Anyway, the cigarette lighter is on all the time. I'd like the radar detector (which is plugged into the cigarette lighter) to just go off when the car is turned off. I'm hopeing that there is some quick/simple thing I can do (quicker and simpler than cutting wires and splicing) that will shut the cigarette lighter off with the ignition. I'd bet that there isn't, though. Basically I'm hoping for the equivalent of a switch somewhere.

Thanks,

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bishop

the only way to make it do what you want to do is to splice and cut. the simplest would be to cut the ground to the cigarette light and put a switch inline and install a simple spst switch. you could get a small one and probably install it in the dash. But interupting the ground you have turned it off.

want to be more complicated put a relay inline on the pos and have it so when you get in the car turn key the relay is powered by an accessory on from the fuse block and it provides the power to the light.

Take your pick and email me back I'll give you full instructions on how to do either.

Tim

remove the nospam from my email.

Reply to
Tim G

Thanks. I can handle it. I was just hoping for something along the lines of, "They've made everything so complicated that even the cigarette lighter is controlled by the computer and there is a setting that the dealer can change so that the cigarette lighter will go on and off with the ignition." Basically, I just didn't want to get under the dash to do the job (I know, it's only about a 15 minute job) and splice the wire. I was hoping for a cleaner solution. The funny thing is that I know I would have complained about how stupid it was to control the cigarette lighter with the computer had it been that way.

Thanks,

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bishop

Don't know about Saturns, but I know that Chrysler offers a plug in module on the fuse box that can convert the cigarette lighter to be either permanently on or disabled when the ignition is switched off. I'd suggest that you find someone with the factory service manual or talk with your Saturn dealer before you change the in-dash wiring.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Can you unplug the unit from the lighter? Seems easier than cutting and splicing...

Barry in C'ville

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

Sure - just looking for the no-thought/lazy way out. Car goes off = radar detector going off.

A plug-in unit to the fuse box (as was mentioned for Chrysler vehicles) would be great.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bishop

Just pull the plug out a bit. Am i missing something here? Or leave it in. Course if you park next to another one, they will have wars with one another all day.

Reply to
Steve Barker