cloyes

are cloyes timing set as good as saturn's timing set? Anyone have experience with the Cloyes set?

Reply to
Shark

Cloyes is good but there are new and improved OEM timing kits out for the S series.

SOHC - 21008552 - $145.00 Est DOHC - 21008553 - $170.00 Est

I would suggest the OEM kits.

Reply to
BläBlä

Thats about $50 over the Cloyes price. Is the improvement mostly about the new OEM set has an improved oil pump cover plate that allows for better chain protection? I am assuming the Cloyes set does not make for this change.

Reply to
Shark

Improved lubrication of the chain. That's what the new kit is designed=20 to do. The only reason you would need to change the timing chain in the=20 lifespan of a car is because it was poorly lubricated. Granted you can=20 get the cloyes kit and the car would probably be long dead before the=20 chain ever needs replaced again. The improved lubrication is just a good=20 piece of mind IMO. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Cloyes,=20 they make good stuff. I just dont think they done anything to address=20 the lubrication issue. I would base the judgement on how many miles are=20 on the car now, its condition, and estimate how much more life it has in=20 it. If you think you can get another 200k miles out of it I would go=20 with the OEM kit.

Reply to
BläBlä