Clutch again?

I have a 92 Saturn SL2, 5 speed manual. I put in a new clutch (purchased at Advanced Auto Parts) in March of this year. It's been fine until suddenly Thursday night...

- At the last stop sign before home, it was difficult to get back into first gear

- As the clutch came out, there was a bad vibration and the RPM count seemed atypically high

- It did go and made the last two blocks. The smell was a burning smell, but not so much oil. It reminds me more of burning aluminum (like in an electrical fire)

- The transmission case fluid was at the add pint line, so we added a pint.

- I coaxed it into first and even 2nd and reverse.

- I looked at it on blocks - no sign of any extra fluid loss

- There is vibration in the clutch pedal even in neutral

- After a little RPM runups, the vibration is largely gone, but the clutch is slipping badly; I can let the clutch out with the break on and it doesn't kill the engine

- One other piece of background: I slopily let the engine oil get down to 1 QT below the add point (i.e., I put 2 quarts in). The engine seems to be running fine now, however.

Question: What might have caused the short term bad vibration? Is it plausible that I just got a bad clutch? What might I have done wrong when I put the clutch in to cause it to go south in 8 months?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thomas.

Reply to
IFlyJava

Sounds like the clutch disc came apart. What might you have done wrong to cause it to fail so soon? You bought a cheap clutch made in China. Doesn't matter if it has a lifetime warranty. Are you going to risk replacing it with the same piece of crap? I hope not. Replace everything you bought at Advanced Auto Parts with dealer or KNOWN GOOD aftermarket parts like ACT.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I'm not likely to replace it with the same unit. Is ACT a brand or a chain? Where would I go for ACT?

Reply to
IFlyJava

ACT is a brand that has been around for quite a while. Here is a link to their web site:

They are not the only ones that make good clutches, but this is the brand I have been using for over 10 years. I checked their site and they don't have much of a selection for your car. What they do have is very expensive (>$500).

Here is another site you can check out:

I checked some of the other sites I have used in the past and none of them carry parts for Saturn cars. Most focus on Honda & Mitsubishi (two cars I have sooped up).

Your best source for a good clutch might be Saturn. If you live in the Phoenix area I might be able to help as I know someone that works at a Saturn dealership.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I have an ACT clutch in my race car and it's way too expensive and overkill for a regular street-driven car. I chose to put an OEM equivalent replacement in my street car when it needed it. I'm not positive, but I believe that OEM Saturn clutch may be a Luk unit, and I've seen these available on eBay for around $150.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane