Collapsed PCV Hose

I recently took my 1999 Saturn SL1 to a local car shop to have it serviced, and the guy noticed that the hose to the PCV valve had collapsed. This is the short 4 or 5 inch long black hose from the middle top of the engine towards the windshield. The removed hose would not spring back to its original shape. The hose resembled a collapsed straw that had been used to suck on a thick milk shake. I recall that the inner diameter of the hose was 5/8 inch. I went over to AutoZone and got a replacement hose intended for transmission fluid from AutoZone which sells the hose in 1 foot lengths. The replacement hose has a much thicker outer diameter and seems to be reinforced inside with a woven fiber mesh.

What sort of problems would be manifested by a collapsed PCV hose? The original equipment hose should be sturdier in future cars. Previous to getting my car tuned up at this place, with a mileage around 28,000 miles, I was having trouble starting the car cold, sometimes having trouble starting the car warm, and the engine would cut off when I revved it in park. I wonder if this collapsed tube contributed to the problem. I have no trouble with the car now.

-Ed L

Reply to
Edward Lee

Mostly engine heat would attribute to a worn or cracked hose. Saturn has actually replaced the pcv hose design with a newer better reinforced design for S series.

marx404

Reply to
marx404