Continental Touring LX?

My Pirelli P400s on my 2000 SL1 have been very good performers but don't last all that long. I lost two to dry rot and two flats.

I was in a hurry and in a bind to get the car ready and went to the same place that sold me the Pirellis and they had Continental Touring LX for $50 so I bought two. They said they no longer had the P400s in stock.

After getting home, I wanted to read up on the tires @ Tirerack.com but could find them. There were not listed on the company's web site. The only place I found them was a Canadian chain called TireCraft.com and it is clear they are a tire sold only to some stores.

Anyone know the details of what the comparable model of this tire is? I was surprised to see Continentals getting very negative reviews on Tirerack.com. I hope I did not get one of the bad models.

Reply to
Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³

Tirerack.com.

When I checked Tirerack.com before I bought a set of Continental ContiExtremeContacts, they got very good reviews.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

It all depends on who has written the review. Contis are top-notch tires, but unlike most performance oriented tires, they are hard tires rather than sticky. For instance in comparison, Dunlops or Pirellis are k nown to be excellent tread and a softer rubber, which can lead to shorter tire life as opposed to Contis which have excellent tread and traction, but have a harder rubber, which means longer life. So someone who is looking for a touring style tire with performance charachteristics will like Contis, someone who wants strictly performance tires problably wont like thier firm ride.

I have found that quite a few Conti models are only sold by specific tire vendors also, and even sometimes under different names. For instance, Semperit which is mainly sold by Olson Tires or Pep Boys as a cheap no-name tire is actially a German version of an mid-level Conti tire. I had Contis on my SL2 for 2 yrs and loved them.

marx404

Reply to
marx404