Coolant Flush

I suppose my '01 SL with 30k/miles is due for a coolant flush'n'fill although the reservior is at normal level. Valvoline center has a $40 special but 3 blocks away Midas wants $110. WTF?

Reply to
John Smith

The factory coolant is "DEX-COOL" which is a long life product. Before changing, have the coolant ph tested, to see if it is still good. Of the ph is normal and the coolant is clean, there is no need to change it. Our '00 had 160,000km on it when tested last year, and it was still within spec.

Good luck, David

Reply to
David

Personally I would never keep coolant in my car for 6 years. Especially Dexcool! Regardless of mileage and what ever litmus test you want to use, get that junk out of there, flush the system with water, no chemicals. Then add 1 gal of the good old 'green stuff'. I prefer the green Prestone that can be 'used in any car' . Then flush and fill every two years.

James

Reply to
James1549

Reply to
BläBlä

The NEW 'good old green stuff' will work fine with aluminum, read the jug...

James

Reply to
James1549

Another thing I remember, my dad had an early 60's small Buick Skylark for about 10 years. The V8 that was in that car had aluminum heads, I don't recall any special coolant we used for it. I don't recall any special coolant even available.

James

Reply to
James1549

Yeah well I don't recall Dexcool eroding away heater core pipes and water necks. I don't recall Dexcool leaving pock marks on aluminum sealing surfaces either. However I do see that all the time on cars with green coolant. I don't care what the jugs say; modern green coolants still continue to attack aluminum.

Reply to
BläBlä