Coolant Flush - GM Engine Coolant Supplement ??

97 SW1 177,000 miles, 284,853 kilometers.

This car was due for a coolant flush. According to the owners manual, DEX- COOL radiator fluid only needs to be serviced once every 5 years or

100,000 miles. The last coolant flush service was done by Saturn 5 or 6 years ago. This time I went to an independent shop, but I brought my Owners Manual along. While I was in the shop waiting room, I read in the Owners Manual on page 283, "Use GM Engine Coolant Supplement (sealer) (GM Part No. 3634621 with any complete coolant change".

I never heard of this before. The independent shop guys never heard of it either. I had the coolant flush performed at the independent shop. I got home and checked the Chilton Manual and the Chilton Manual doesn't make any reference to special "Engine Coolant Supplement (sealer)" in the coolant flush procedure.

The Saturn dealer wanted USD $135.00 + to perform the coolant flush procedure. The independent shop wanted a little over half of the amount Saturn wanted for the same procedure. Do y'all think the "GM Engine Coolant Supplement (sealer)" is really worth the extra $50 to $60.

Thanks for the help, SW1

Reply to
;-}

The coolant supplemental sealer are two tablets that need to be crushed into a fine powder and then added to the coolant after a flush and change. They can be purchased at a local Saturn dealer. If I recall they are between $5 and $10 for the two required.

As to using Dex Cool coolant, I stay away from this coolant and continue to use the old ethylene glycol stuff that is sold at the Saturn dealer. This requires changing every two years, but does less damage to the radiator, water pump, etc.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the information on the supplemental sealer. I'll get those tablets next week. I hadn't heard of DEX COOL damaging the radiator, water pump, etc. Another independent shop advised me to use the green ethylene glycol fluid because they were seeing damage to gaskets and seals from the DEX COOL. In ten years time, I haven't had any issues with gaskets or seals or radiator or water pump. Do you think I'm pressing my luck?

Thanks for the help, SW1

Reply to
;-}

Reply to
Shark

A pack of 5 should be about $6 bucks and the entire pack is 'supposed' to be added. Also note that 3634621 are a 6 pack of the larger tablets for cast Iron engines and 12378254 are a 5 pack of smaller tablets for aluminum engines though either would work. They're not necessary, just a piece of mind... Also you dont crush them up and add them to the Overflow Bottle or Coolant Surge Tank. On Saturns you'll have to put them in the upper radiator hose to get them correctly flowing into the system.

No STICK with Dexcool. The old 'green' slop is NOT for aluminum engines or cooling systems. I've seen it eat away aluminum parts among other bad things. It has no business in a modern cooling system...

You dont need a 'flush' if you drain and refill the cooling system with shorter service interval. (like 4 years/80k miles) The main thing you want to do is keep fresh corrosion inhibitors in circulation and keep the pH levels in check. They make inexpensive test strips to to check pH levels.

I can't believe anyone working in the Auto Service and Repair field has not heard of GM Sealing Tablets. Hell even BMW Techs know of them and use them.

Chilton wont make mention of jack squat.

Thats not why they charge 50-60 bucks more.

Reply to
BläBlä

I disagree with much of what you posted, but do agree with you that Chilton's and Hayne's manuals are of very limited value. GM's decision to go with the chemistry in Dex-Cool when there were other alternatives was a poor one. The need for any "supplemental sealing tablets" also indicts the design and/or the head gasket materials used.

If you are expending the energy to drain and re-fill the coolant, and you are only doing it once every 4 or 5 years, then going the extra step and flushing the system takes just a small amount of additional time. Take a good look at the color of the flush and then tell me with a straight face that you'd leave that crap in there and just re-fill it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Not sure what head gaskets have to do with this discussion. Head gaskets and dexcool are two different things. Did head gaskets not fail before dexcool??? Wet manifolds have always been problematic but that's also well before dexcool was introduced... I guess Saturn shouldn't have put Ginger Root in the cooling system from the factory by your logic. Btw thats back when they were still using GREEN coolant... Unfortionatly the ginger root wasn't able to seal the severely eroded heater core pipe of a 94 SL2 that I recollect.

Depends on your definition of 'flush'. Garden hose or an expensive flush machine. Both are more time consuming and one leaves behind unfiltered water. Me, I just open the petcock and drain as much as I can into a container. Then I come back and blow compressed air though the Upper hose and neck to draw out most of the remainder.

Please discribe to me what 'color' you are refering to. The clear orange gatorade like fluid that comes out of my cars? Shucks I thought that was normal... I only flush cars that were poorly maintained or contaminated. If there is no indication of that then one is wasting time and the customers money.

Reply to
BläBlä

Appreciate the tips on DEX COOL -> aluminum engines, and coolant supplemental sealer -> upper radiator hose, and shorter service interval -> fresh corrosion inhibitors/ph levels.

I probably need to look at another > >> The coolant supplemental sealer are two tablets that need to be crushed

Reply to
;-}