Coolant smell

I changed the coolant 3k miles ago and can smell it after I stop the car. I didn't put in the 'pellets'. Should I have? I noticed a little coolant loss but the oil is fine. Thanks in advance.

99sw2 65k miles
Reply to
R Miller

R Miller wrote: > I changed the coolant 3k miles ago and can smell it after I stop > the car. I didn't put in the 'pellets'. Should I have? I noticed > a little coolant loss but the oil is fine. Thanks in advance. >

My guess is that you overfilled slightly and it's boiling over. See how full the coolant recovery tank is immediately after stopping hot. Probably it's pretty far up there.

Also, it's hard to change coolant without spilling a little here and there, and the odor of the stuff hangs around for a long time. An engine wash might help dissipate it.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

It's always a good idea to rinse out the engine bay after doing anything with coolant, unless you like the smell - coolant sticks around for quite a while...

The coolant loss could be a simple as air bubbles coming out of the system from the change - keep an eye on it and see if it continues to drop.

Also - go over every coolant hose junction and look for leaks (helps to get under the car for many of them)

Reply to
David & Caroline