Cracked door panels

Anyone experienced broken exterior door skins? Had one appear to "shatter" at the lower leading edge on my wife's '05 Vue. No evidence of impact on the panel or anywhere around it, but it does look like the lower edge of the panel might be unevenly screwed to the door frame.

Found some mentions at groups.google of cracking on SL door skins from about

5 years ago, but nothing since.

I may be kidding myself, but she's been SO careful with this vehicle, and the surrounding area is so clean that I'm inclined to think something very odd may just have happened.

Reply to
Chris Moore

"Chris Moore" wrote in news:5nFyf.1176$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I have had two Saturns with cracked panels. A 1994 SL2 had the panels removed for repainting and they overtightened the bolts putting it back on. Car was less than 30 days so we returned it.

Later a 1997 SW2 had the same splinter appear on the right lower side; covered under warranty and replaced.

No trouble thus far with our LW200, and my M-I-L has had three SC2's with no body issues (headliner yes, but plastic exterior, no).

Back to you... go to dealer and show them; chances are it is warrantied and will take 1.5 days (get a loaner).

Reply to
Steph

Thanks for the info and advice.

We took it in to the dealer today - the 2 "service advisors" on duty swore it must be collision damage; I kept insisting that I'd need to see how that could happen without any damage to the front fender flare, or any type of mark on the door itself. They blew us both off, but my wife insisted that they send it out to a body shop for an assessment of how the break might have occurred.

When we went in to pick it up this afternoon, the service advisor said she was just putting the bodywork estimate together. I was about to insist that this be referred to the Saturn Regional Rep, when the service manager cut her off, saying "It doesn't matter, we're covering this under warranty". Service advisor said "Did you look at it? I think its collision", reply was "I looked at it. We've seen a few of these and its a warranty issue -- broken body panels are covered". The "advisor" left the office in a huff, and my wife (smiling broadly) made the appointment for next week, when the manager said they'd have a loaner available for her.

This was a VERY pleasant surprise

(btw dealership is Mountain Saturn in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada -- to this point, I would have to highly recommend them)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Moore