Cracked head!

Hi all, Well I haven't broken my '96 SC1 sohc, down yet but I'm sure its either crack or gasket. I have the dreaded milkshake in my water coolant tank. Funny thing is the motor runs fine like nothing is wrong with it.I have found though that no water is in the oil, dipstick shows oil only. I think what caused this problem was a faulty pvc hose causing excessive heat in engine, thats just a guess though. I'm an average shade tree but I am going to fix this thing myself. Was wondering if anyone has bought any heads from a company in Florida, "Clearwater Cylinder Head, Inc. They priced me a new head, not remanufactured, delivered to the door in TN. for $350.00 2yr./24000mi. warranty. The guy also told me the new casting used was made thicker in areas where cracks have been generated in the past. I am going to need a good book for this job, any recomendations? Speciaal tools?

Reply to
kangel

Haynes manual has a fair description of how to do the job and the required tools.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Sounds just like what my '99 has done... i hope its just the gasket. Anybody point me in the right direction for cleaning the coolant system ?

Reply to
wiley

No such luck.

Cracked head, checked out Clearwater Cylinder Head, new, $335 + $20 shipping, ordered an hour ago. Locally, my mechanic could only find one, remanufactured, $100.00 core, $520 or 30, couple of days to get it. Plus AutoZone charges a shipping fee.

Reply to
wiley

Clearwater Cylinder Head is good, very reasonable, i ordered new, $355, 3 day delivery, from Fla. to NC. Mechanic said it was a good part, was impressed by the price and quality. Car runs great.

Reply to
wiley

Thats good. Probably cost as much as maintaining a Honda though. How much was the labor?

Reply to
Blah Blah