Cracked radiator, leaking lines, etc.. (fixed after $530)

Have you ever had service done on your SL1 (mine's a late 90's) and then, after the service (which was over $600 for a 90,000 plus a fuel fitler and a pvc valve), a week later you had more problems come up that you just kinda

*feel* would not have come up if you hadn't had the Service in the first place the previous week?

A week after my 90,000 service, my battery light and the temperature light to the left of it started flashing on the way home from work, so I bring it in (Galpin Saturn in L.A.), and it's yet another $530 for cracked this and leaking that. I've NEVER had that problem (cooling problem) with the car since owning it for 5 years. I would have gotten rid of the car instead of spending the almost 1,200 on it.

Reply to
python newbie

Cracked this and leaking that @ 90K doesnt sound irregular to me at that high mileage. Hoses and tubes wear, expendable and serviceable parts wear. What you paid mostly for was labor which can be pricy but worth it if the originating work was done right. Having multiple things go at different times on a car with 90k is normal. The closer you get to 100k, expendable parts will need replacing. This is normal with ANY car. That is normal and expected maintenance. Now your radiator should have lasted longer, but again that depends no how well you maintained your car and the local conditions. For 90k, IMHO, if the car is running well, you are doing good.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

You don't say what lines were leaking, but you do reveal that you're in LA. The smog/heat/ozone in LA is really rough on rubber and plastic hoses, and realistically they have a life of 5-7 years (this is true independent of who made the car unless you put in aftermarket race-car style hi-temp hoses, which won't be cheap!, don't know if they're even available for Saturns.). I suspect they replaced your upper and lower coolant hoses and possibly the little hoses to the overflow tank.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Reply to