Crash test questions

After reviewing the crash test results from various vehicles to decide on which vehicle is the safetest. What I found out is vehicle such as Volvo or Mercedes (some models not all) performs basically same as mid size US car while most of Japanese vehicle perform somewhat better than basic US design vehicle such as Cavalier/Sunfire. Please refer to Crash test link pasted below. For example:

2000 Sunfire coupe 2drs, weight 2594 lbs with safety factor 4 stars

Chest deceleration drv= 44g pass=44g

2003 Sunfire sedan 4 drs, weight 2750 lbs with safety factor 4 stars

Chest deceleration drv= 54g; pass=48g

2003 Toyota Corolla 4 drs , weight 2546 lbs with safety factor 5 stars

Chest deceleration drv= 42g pass= 41g

2003 Toyota Echo 4drs, weight 2160 lbs with safety factor 4 stars

Chest deceleration drv= 51g, pass=48g

2000 Volvo S70 4 drs; weight 3126 lbs with safety factor 5 stars

Chest deceleration drv= 46g; pass= 41g

1997-99 Volvo S90, 4 drs,vehicle weight 3521 lbs with 4 stars safety factor

Chest deceleration drv=45g; pass=53g

Saturn 2003 Ion 4drs, weight 2716 lbs with 5 stars safety.

Chest deceleration drv 42g; pass=36g

Saturn LS 2002; weight 2943 lbs with 4 and 5 stars rating

Chest deceleration for drv=45g; pass=42g

Looking at this short list, if reliability or cost of ownership is not important, I would say Toyota Corolla and Saturn 2003 Ion are not so bad interm of Chest Deceleration "G" force value follow by 2000 Sunfire Coupe or Saturn LS2002 (still 1g more for the driver). Volvo S70 performs not so bad even it receive a 5 stars rating but Chest deceleration "G" is much higher than Saturn Ion or Toyota Corolla while Sunfire sedan and Toyota Echo from my view is not acceptable.

So, I have a few questions:

1> Am I right to use only Chest Deceleration "G" results as a guideline for frontal collision? 2> Why would the driver and passenger have two diff. Chest Deceleration value? 3> It appears that vehicle weight does not matter as the design of the body damper the effect, or is it?

Please share your view Paul

none

A volvo. A Saturn. They should not be used in the same sentence. If you are looking for one you should not be looking at the other. Roy

Reply to
ProfWdesk1