Creaking noise when air conditioner is on

I have a '93 SL2 with 145,000 miles. When I use my air conditioner there is a creaking noise (like a door slowly opening in the horror movies) under the left rear of my car. This is easy to reproduce if I press down on the trunk. However, this only happens when I use the air conditioning, which is very rare, so I'm hoping that nothing is about to fall off. Could this be a heat issue? Any hints?

Meph

Reply to
Mephistopheles Jones

The air conditioner makes a different type of vibration than just the engine alone. Probably something loose or worn in the rear end of the car. Just for peace of mind, you might want to get the suspension checked. If you can push on that corner and hear a groan, something is wrong.

I didn't like the sound of my brother-in-law's car one day. He ignored it till on the highway, the rear end went bang (the axle bearing had seized and sheared the axle), then dropped and the rear wheel passed him. The car skidded along on the gas tank and was pretty well engulfed by the time it came to a stop. Luckily the BIL got out with only singed hair. 'nuff said.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie