Cruise control kicks out

I have a '00 Saturn SC2.

It's got this annoying problem that whenever I use the cruise control, lets say I set it to 100 kph, and I hit a bump in the road, the cruise will cut out momentarily. The speed drops to 95 then it re-engages on its own and will go back up to 100.

It sounds like a poor electrical connection somewhere. It started doing this about a year ago and is becoming more frequent. I'm worried that if a connection is going bad, how many others in the same wiring harness will be crapping out soon causing more serious concerns.

Does anyone know where I should look?

Thanks, Randall

Reply to
Randall Banning

You probably need to clean the slip rings behind the steering wheel. My '94 freaks out all the time and I bump (beat the $hit out of) the wheel with the palm of my hand and it comes back to life.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm not sure about the '00 but my '95 SW2 doesn't use slip rings for electrical connections between the steering wheel and column. It has what I have heard referred to as the "clock spring" because of how it looks inside. There is a connector on the wheel side and column side one of those may be loose or the "spring" is damaged. It's unlikely that it is unplugged completely or your airbag light will not function as it should. (most likely it will stay on all the time). Be sure to take the proper precautions working around your steering column or you may end up with a used airbag.

Reply to
D V Brownell

It never occurred to me the problem could be in the vicinity of the steering wheel. It sure sounds easier than messing around under the hood or firewall.

Thanks for the advice guys. Randall

Reply to
Randall Banning