Cryogenic Rotors/pads?

On another thread I asked about keeping or trading in our 2000 LS2 for a new L300 with 110% trade in etc. etc.

Thanks for all the responses. We've decided that, as popular opinion has had it, it makes no sense for us to apply negative equity to a new car that will have a similar amount of miles in three years only we'll just owe *more* money then. So...we'll just keep this car and continue taking good care of it.

On a different subject.

Cryogenic Brakes/Pads. They're pricey but with our rotors/pads wearing out every 25-30K miles, we're thinking about looking at them.

Anyone have any experience with cryogenic rotors? Any particular companies that anyone would recommend?

tks

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

Team scR races Saturns and has a word to say about cryogrenically treated rotors in a tech article:

I'm sure you can also find much more information on the web about them too.

Have you just plain tried better quality rotors than the ones you feel aren't lasting as long as you like? Also, I wonder if the increased price of a cryo treated rotor - even if it does end up lasting longer - will justify its cost in comparison to the life of a non-treated one. For example, if a $150 treated rotor lasts twice as long as a plain cheap-o $20 model... well, that just doesn't make much sense costwise.

In a few minutes of web searching, I wasn't able to find any comparisons or tests done by someone who isn't selling them that say they aren't a load of bunk.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

There was a discussion of the rotors in the Chrysler (rec.auto.makers.chrysler) newsgroup about 1-2 months back. The guy there (IIRC, Bill Putney) swore by them from his experience, but for me the cost equation did not make sense so I replace them with quality Raybestos and resurface till they exceed minimum thickness. I would think google would have the thread if you are interested.

Bob

Bob Shuman

I would check out better quality pads and rotors to begin with........also, ask yourself why you are wearing the brakes out so fast? Nobody in my family does...... I am very hard on my brakes sometimes; but when I'm driving normally I am very easy on them. I bought the car with 105k miles on it, put new pads at 120k and turned the rotors, and haven't messed with the brakes since. Thats 80k miles out of pads; and I'm reasonably sure the rotors are the originals as when I bought the car, so thats 200k on the rotors, AND I drive it real hard at times...........

Reply to
BANDIT2941