damage from too much oil?

Arg, I'm not sure about some mechanics. Gotta hold some ppl's hands no matter what, I'm afraid.

Had my oil changed 3 days ago, I supply my own and filter. Gave the dummy in the shop a 5qt. Mobil1 bottle and a K&N gold filter. Got the car back, expecting 1 qt left in the bottle. SC2 holds 4qts, actually a little less with the smaller K&N filter. I should have been suspicious when I didn't get anything back, I should have checked the oil immediately!

Guess where the other quart went? right, in the car with the other 4. I now have 5qt of oil in my SC2 and have been driving back and forth to work for 3 days. I will have them drain the other qt out tomorrow ASAP. Hope nothing got damaged, should I be worried?

Reply to
marx404

I doubt that crank is even being slugged by oil. It usually takes at least a 50 to 75% overfill before problems develop. They are not as sensitive to overfill as some would leave you to believe. I would be tempted to leave oil in there unless you as constantly winding it to max RPM and creating extra windage in crankcase.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Aside from the crank being slugged down, no not likely. Like Lane said, its better to be a little over the line than a little under. ;)

Reply to
BläBlä

I've been running a half to 3/4 of a quart over the full mark on the track for years with no problems. I don't think I'd worry too much about a quart on a street driven car.

Plus, the motor will "correct" that problem shortly, won't it? Seems that most people have some oil consumption.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Thanks. Luckily, I have had no oil consumption issues on either this car or my '94 SL2. I took it easy on the poor car and took it into the shop pronto this morn. Had the dummies dump out the extra qt. I have checked it and so far no problems. Maybe it's psycho-sematic butI can feel the difference already.

Reply to
marx404