Dealer part prices going up... or just for me?

Except for oil filters and other common consumables, I've had good luck over the years buying parts from Saturn dealers. But yesterday I got a new tensioner assembly for my 92 SL1 and was shocked at what they wanted: $141. A couple months before, I'd done the idler pully, and that was $40... plus $30 for a new serpentine belt. I griped a little at the time, as the prices seemed out of whack for what were simple little maintenance items, but bit the bullet and bought them anyway.

Are these truly typical prices, or is my particular Saturn dealer (Saturn of Gaithersburg) starting to gouge long-time parts customers?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

"Dealer part prices going up"

Going up? They've always been up. I seldom ever buy from a dealership. Their markup is crazy.

Reply to
Blah Blah

I don't mind paying maybe 20 or 30% more, especially if it's not a generic Delco/GM part that fits 100 different models and is already on the shelves of every local parts store. (Like the alternator, for example, I bought that from a rebuild shop because I knew it was the same alternator that Saturn sold for 30% less). Nothing sucks like tearing your car apart and then finding that the part you bought doesn't fit, and that's one of the reasons I bought these parts at the dealer. Not having to wait a week for the NAPA place to order it and get it is another reason.

But... up until a few months ago it was just 20 or 30% more. Now it's more like 300% more. I compare the prices I paid last month to the prices that I paid 4 years ago, at the same dealership for the same parts, and they've all more than doubled, some have tripled.

I know, in the end it's my fault for paying those prices. Maybe I'm just looking to comiserate with other who are in the same boat :-). Or hear that it's official Saturn policy to jack up prices by a factor of 3 on parts for their older models. Or that no, it's just my dealership. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

No, Tim ...it's not just Gaithersburg... Here in KC the dealerships just recently jacked the prices on a number of items and accessories...it happened in April. The reason I know is because I deal with several dealerships nationwide, and watched them all start raising prices on items that month. Some parts went up ridiculously (a few almost doubled in price...)

In my previous Saturn I got an alternator from the dealership - rebuilt - and warranted for 3 years. $300 - they installed it. As you can guess, almost to the day, 3 years later - it failed. So I went to a friend at AutoZone, he got me a brand new alternator for $86 with trade-in core and a LIFETIME warranty. I bought a Chilton's manual, put it in myself, and it ran stronger, longer and better than the rebuild. It was still with the car when I traded it, and still going strong...

As far as the accessory/serpentine belt goes, that is one I would pay for the OEM for. I bought an aftermarket, and it whined a bit on startup - even with tension adjustments and dressing. The pattern on the belt was not precisely the same...perhaps this was a factor. I guess it is a matter of certain preferences. Some things are worth the extra, and others I would go aftermarket. The spin-on tranny filters are a definite Saturn only part IMHO, because many others I got leaked (but the Fram is not bad - just harder for me to find...)

Reply to
Warren

"Warren" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

It's satisfying to do work on one's own car. You save money and learn invaluable skills for future repairs. Sure, a pro mechanic can do the job quicker but a shadetree has all weekend to do the job and is in no hurry. Plus, I like to get my money's worth out of the $400 worth of Craftsman sockets/wrenches/drivers I own. I kinda feel sorry for the people who live in apt's and can't wrench on their rides in the parking lot, so they end up in the Autozone parking lot trying to swap out a starter. I should open a "Christine" (stephen king film) style Darnell's Garage and rent out bays. But I'd be a bit nicer than 'ol Darnell: "That Plymouth Fury is a turd, son."

Reply to
Justin